Friday, May 16, 2008

Farewell Stevens Point

Starting with minor air issues, i made a phone call to Kathy at Appleton Bicycle to help me figure out the issue i was having with my pump valve. Apparently it is a universal (presta/shreider) valve pump, but with the head needs to be adjusted for presta. Veola! I was on the road by 945AM.

Stevens Point was a lot of fun, especially because Kayla and Stacey had decided they were not going to procrastinate just for me! They did their homework before my arrival, which saved them a substantial amount of grief for finals week. Without the grief, there was plenty of time for the rediculous that always ensues in Stevens Point.

Dorm life was great as usual; fun kids, plenty of food, and a good place to sleep. The library, Upper/Lower Debot, studying, popcorn from the stove every night, Schmeakly, wines, being in pain from laughter (and that being the source of a vicious cycle leading to more laughter), and so many other things i could go on and on about.

Having internet access made available the near completion of my solo album, conveniently because Jake was online! I have thanked Jake for making this opportunity possible, but i figured it should be public also. Thank you so much for everything Jacob! I will be posting distro information as it becomes available.

Friendships were strengthened on this stop, but i also made a new friend! Her and i had an interesting connection, which some of my critics may call typical. Despite of what they think, i believe this meeting was special in its own regard. Lesson learned; when somebody is seen every day for several days, and their existance shines with a certain something, talk to them the first chance you get! With that, it was great being able to get to know somebody new. That really fortifies one of the many points of this trip; meeting new people, learning, teaching, to and to become inspired.

Goodbyes are always hard, and the atmosphere at SP was blooming with farewells, sorrow, and relief. The only goodbye i really want to point out is mine to Rachel. Although it is not a goodbye forever, i hope she knows how special she is to me and how significant having those last moments with her are. And Kayla, don't forget, you're like a sister to me! Don't ever forget! Stacey, i will see you in Madtown! Emily, we will rock Minneapolis for a day. The rest of you SP kids will be seen next spring, so good luck with whatever you do and wherever you go.

***

The sun has faded, and the lined paper capturing thought becomes nearly impossible to see. Only vague representations of words can be seen, and it is a struggle to keep them from overlapping. My lids become ever more heavy, and the rest from blinking will soon no longer be adequate for life.

There is an orchestra playing here, and i have a balcony seat above the pit of the musical marsh. The tempo is as steady as the ran can fall, with percussion from gusts of wind and an occasional set of curious footsteps. There is such depth here in this moment, movement in the woodwind and brass, that i would not even fathom trying to describe who plays which instrument. The croaking echoes from section to section, as the chirping backs the bass jumping from one stanza to the next. The trees sway cautiously, very dim shadows licking the ceiling of this shelter, conducting in the most pristine of pieces.

***

When i left Stevens Point this AM, the sky was slightly fuzzy with clouds only on occasion masking the warm sun. Sunblock was not going to be enough today, with relentless rays and my pasty white limbs joining forces to mark the inevitable down.

Heading west, straight into the never ending wind, i wove through small towns with county highways as my thread. The memories and impressions stamped down and left behind will be eternal, despite how small they seem.

The hills began even before i reached US Highway 10. They were steep and appeared often. The wind was now also gusting, preventing the needed building of momentum to go up a hill from the previous downhill. The only relief from the wind was traveling North, but that all ended once i took a detour around a broken bridge. Reaching US-10, it was straight traveling west until reaching my destination of the junctions of US-10 and WI-27/US-12 in Fairchild.

At one point, i was so tired and beaten down from the frivolous climbing of hills and pushing against the wind, doubt set it. I was in a very bleak area, a state forest, with few cars and less roads. It all just looks the same when you start the motions of giving up.

I don't want to do this anymore...
Who can i call to get me...
After Minneapolis, i am going back to Appleton. I cannot deal with this every single day...

But, rationally thinking about it, is there really anything in Appleton for me? With the exception of friends, beaners, the bike store, brewed awakenings, and other places i like to visit, there is an entire world out here! I can't stop here, i can't stop now. What better time than now? What better place to feel better than here?

I was stopping too often to rest. One last time i contemplated stopping early, setting up camp for the night, but i convinced myself to push onwards. I was reaching complete exhaustion when i received another jolt of energy. Pushing on, i was starting to see signs that i was going to be emerging from the premature forest. It actually happened very suddenly. Then there was the junction i was dreaming of all afternoon! And at this junction was a gas station, which i was planning on resting at, even without knowing it resided exactly where i wanted to be. This was the final portion of my attitude adjustment, which needed a serious pivot.

At this gas station, i stopped; refilled my water, stretched, and checked the map. Thirty miles to Eau Claire? I was pumped! It was only 7PM, and despite the conditions and fatigue, i met my goal and exceeded it with 90 miles covered. I called Shari because i was so excited about the good news. The plan was to bike the remainder in the AM and meet Shari at her work before 2PM. But first, my next plan was to find a place to sleep, and fast! The early evening showers were moving in from the west, and i wanted to be pitched before it began.

With my new confidence boost, I traveled for another half an hour or so before deciding on an appropriate spot. I found a sheltered high ground, behind a power station dingus on the opposite side from the road. And, on the low ground, plenty of cover from a light marsh area - residence of the orchestra. The marsh area was just enough to block sight from the house across the street that lay perpendicular to WI-12. Shortly after setting up camp and jumping in the tent, I began to hear the pattering sound that accompanies rain.

Now, the rain falls in sheets following strong gusts of wind. If i do not blow away, i have thirty miles and 15mph winds with 35mph gusts to welcome tomorrow. This is why i pushed so hard in 10 mph winds today; it will make my journey much shorter tomorrow and i will maintain more energy for the festivities tomorrow evening. My trip tomorrow is straight North-West, directly into the wind once again. At least it seems mildly flat in this area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the part about the marsh orchestra. And the fact that you're in Eau Claire! : D